Homepage Photos - worldphotocreations
Powered by SmugMug Log In

Arlington Memorial Amphitheater

Built from 1915 to 1920, the Memorial Amphitheater at Arlington National Cemetery is considered by many to be the place of the official ceremonies honoring all who have served to keep America free.

President Woodrow Wilson placed the cornerstone on October 13, 1915. A box in the cornerstone contains a copy of the following items:

- The Bible
- The Declaration of Independence
- The U.S. Constitution
- U.S. Flag (1915)
- Designs and plans for the amphitheater
- L'Enfant's map design of the city of Washington, D.C.
- Autograph of the amphitheater commission
- One of each U.S. coin in use in 1915
- One of each U.S. postage stamp in use in 1915
- 1914 map of Washington, D.C.
- The Congressional Directory
- Boyd's City Directory for the District of Columbia
- Autographed photo of President Woodrow Wilson
- The cornerstone dedication program
- The Evening Star newspaper account of the ceremonies, and the campaign to build the Amphitheater